Young Leaders Training Day
The Young leaders training day is run every year to bring together the Young Sports Leaders chosen from Secondary schools across the county, so they can be shown how to officiate at the main summer School Games event, which this year is being held at Marlborough College on July 5th.
We had over 170 young leaders from KS4 and 6th forms from; Sheldon, Kingdown, Royal Wootton Bassett Academy, Abbeyfield, St Edmunds, Corsham, Ridgeway, Avon Valley College, Trafalgar, Devizes, Clarendon, Malmesbury, Lavington Schools.
The PE teachers and School Sports Coordinators (SSCO’s) bring the students along and help supervise them in their different groups, as each student gets allocated one sport for them to learn about.
The training day has grown year on year with more schools than ever taking part. There are over 300 young people trained to be Young Sports Leaders over the year with 8 Winter Games events as well as the Summer Event in July.
The training day has been held at Sheldon School for the last couple of years and it is a great venue for this event enabling each sport to have their own space to practice. The venue is a really lovely place to be out on the field on such a lovely sunny day, we were very lucky.
We couldn’t put together a day like today without the support of the deliverers for each of the Sports. We are very grateful that they give up their time to spend the day teaching the Young leaders about their sport and the rules, showing them what will be expected of them on the day of the Summer School Games and preparing them so they can offer support the young athletes competing as well as how to officiate correctly.
- Tennis – Richard Farr
- Orienteering – Liz Yeadon
- Tri-Golf – Mark Boscott from the Golf Foundation
- Trampolining – Nicky Allen
- Table Tennis – Eddie Roofe
- Quad Kids – Roz McKenzie
- Touch Rugby – Frank Butler and Stephen Barber from RFU
- Squash – Dax Mellor from Wiltshire Squash
- Cricket – Josh Boulton from Wiltshire Cricket
Thanks also goes to Lisa Adams from Lavington School and Steve Boocock WASP CEO greeted the group to the training day with the opening address/activity.
It would be impossible to run the School Games without all the Young Leaders officiating and helping at the events. They are a real credit to their schools as they are always sensible, helpful, mature and professional and really ‘step up’ to the position of referee, scorer or umpire on the day.
Wiltshire and Swindon Sport ( WASP ) aim to promote and support sport and physical activity. We can support your club, school and workplace with a range of services including:
- Sport Funding & Grants support, information and advice
- First Aid training / Safeguarding and Child Protection / Social Media training
- Event Safety Management
- Workplace Health programme –Workplace Challenge
- Support for Sports Coaches –Coach Bursary ,Coach Education ,RightCoach
- Club Support & Development –Clubmark,Club Matters
- Training / meeting room hire
- Marketing & Communications support and Sponsorship opportunities
- Sport England Projects –School Games ,Satellite Clubs ,Sportivate .
If you think we can help you please get in touch… Kirsty@wiltssport.org.uk or call 01225 781500.