The Association for Physical Education (afPE) is the only PE Subject Association in the UK.
We are committed to being the representative agency of choice for people and organisations delivering or supporting the delivery of physical education, school sport and physical activity in educational contexts and in the wider community.
Our work includes developing physical education related policy and related statements, responding to consultations, providing resources, outstanding professional learning across the sector, meeting with representatives from partner organisations and political representatives, and promoting the subject in a variety of forums.
Our purpose is to promote and maintain high standards and safe practice in all aspects and at all levels of physical education, school sport and physical activity, influencing developments at national and local levels that will impact on pupils’ physical health and emotional well-being.
What We Do:
We provide quality assured services and resources, and valuable professional support for our members and the physical education, school sport and physical activity sector.
- A wide range of high quality membership services
- Accredited professional learning opportunities and vocational qualifications
- Journals (Physical Education Matters & Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy)
- Advice, support & employment opportunities
- Monthly e-newsletter
- Email/video/webinar updates
- Representation at key stakeholder meetings and national working parties
- Insurance cover and dedicated helplines, including one to one support for health & safety and legal advice.
We are not about quick fit solutions, we want a sustainable legacy, so that in another 15 years we do not have inactive young people and a growing obesity profile. Proactive solutions worked across the sector by key stakeholders in true partnership, will ensure children and young people have the knowledge, skills but more importantly the physical health and emotional well-being to achieve the very best that they can.
Help us to make it happen!
- Demonstrate the distinctive role of physical education in children and young people’s learning, development and achievement
- Establish and sustain physical education at the heart of school life and whole-school development, through support for high quality learning and teaching; research; ethical leadership and politically informed advocacy and representation
- Raise awareness of physical education’s contribution to public health and well-being and increased participation
- Play a leading role in the development of a workforce with the skills and qualities required to assure high quality physical education and sport in schools and in the wider community
- Provide high quality, professional, sustainable services for members and partners