The Olympic sport of Modern Pentathlon comprises the contemporary sports of pistol shooting, fencing, swimming, horse riding and running. The sport was introduced at the 1912 Olympics by the founder of the modern Olympic Games, Pierre de Coubertin, and embraced the spirit of the Pentathlon of the ancient Greek Games, where the five sports were running, jumping, javelin, discus and wrestling.
Pentathlon GB delivers a multi sport approach to developing sporting skills and attitudes from primary school to retirement. Pentathlon GB recognizes the importance of “access for all” and continues to develop a geographical framework to provide local activities. Some of the offerings allow girls and boys to compete on an equal playing field with options to draw people back into sport if they have lost interest. Pentathlon GB believes in the mantra “be the best you can be” and encourages all participants to develop. A Talent Pathway is available to deliver performance to Olympic Medal Standards.
County Strategy - Wiltshire Strategy Created 18th December 2015, Author Rachel Wreyford, Pentathlon GB
Summary of Intent
In 12 months from today we will have achieved the following:
1. We will have run a further Battle Biathlon course at Lackham College using laser pistols and delivered 2 further courses at at least 2 new locations, culminating in an inter college battle day.
2. We will have a sateliite club at Lackham College offering weekly laser pistol coaching. Here we will have a laser pistol range and qualified laser pistol coach.
3. We will have delivered at least 2 laser run shoot taster days in advance of delivering a laser run / shoot relay at the Olympic Day Trowbridge (16th July 2016, 11am-4pm)
4. We will have suitable equipment for coaches to deliver battle biathlon and laser run shoot projects and for clubs to run regular coaching sessions. We will also build in coaching development to ensure adequate coaching availability.
5. We will have a clear understanding of how all clubs and activities work together in generating interest, retaining participants and developing talent.
Full document - County Strategy - Wiltshire 2016.pdf331.38 KB
Tags: Modern Pentathlon