This is a voluntary role that will provide excellent experience for someone wanting to work in this field. The volunteers will be expected to assist with the delivery of the school games, in particular but not exclusively around Level 2 events of the School Games. Participants will have to commit to volunteering for a minimum of 12 hours during the school year. Attendance and volunteering at the Wiltshire school games in July each summer is compulsory.
Training will be provided by the County Sport Partnership (see training opportunities below) who have been awarded a bursary to support the professional development of this role.
It is desirable that the successful candidates will hold a UKCC coaching qualification in at least one sport, and ideally be studying in, or considering a career in the field of sports development, coaching or management. They will also be expected to apply for an enhanced disclosure from the criminal records bureau. Transport is preferred but not essential. Candidates must be 16 years or older.
Your duties will include to both support the School Games Organiser’s and County Sport Partnership with certain activities, including:
- School competitions delivery and management delivery to support the level 2 and 3 School Games
- Support delivering level 1 - 3 intra and inter school competitions with an emphasis on level 2 events
- Support and liaise with teachers who organise Leaders programmes
- General communication and liaison with schools to increase opportunities
- Event reports and press releases
- Compile a case study when requested
- First Aid Qualification
- Safeguarding & Child Protection Qualification
- Enhanced CRB Certificate
- FUNdamentals Qualification *
- UKCC Level 1 or 2 Qualification in a ‘School Games’ sport
- Regular communication & up to date coaching information
- Access to coaching opportunities (voluntary & paid)
- Access to Coach Education Courses
- Access to Funding to assist with training & courses
- Access to further coaching / officiating opportunities that may arise through partners
- Regular support and contact with meetings every 6/8 weeks to offer support
- Access to coach mentors who offer ongoing mentoring support.
- Access to general support and advice on Sports Development and the role of various sporting organisations (such as the County Sports Partnership, School Sports Partnership, Youth Sport Trust, Sport England, etc.) and provide the relevant links and contacts where necessary
There may also be an opportunity to undertake research should you require this as part of your course.
If you are a keen sports person, reliable, innovative and a good communicator, we would love to hear from you.
* Training & Development Provided During Placement
During the placement the successful candidate will have access to a number of funded training opportunities to complete the required Minimum Standards for Deployment which will include:
All successful candidates will be required to register on the RightCoach website and as a result will be able to access the additional following support:
Please contact - Rik Grover, Sports Consultant, Wiltshire and Swindon Sport (WASP)
White Horse Business Park, Richmond House, 1 Goodwood Close, Epsom Road, Trowbridge, Wiltshire, BA14 0XE