Wakeboarding is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Think skateboards on water, with participants propelled across the surface and over floating obstacles by a controlled cable tow. Nearly two and a half years on, the sport has transformed Mikey’s life. He is fitter, stronger and now enjoys an active social life. Mikey says:
"Wakeboarding is a way to clear my head. I really love it. I use my membership like a gym, and also to swim, any day I want, so I feel really healthy. One year after my first session I made my debut at the Grassroots Tour competition. I was nervous but it was a great experience. I came in ninth place and everyone cheered me."
Mikey’s progress delighted the staff at the Liverpool Wake Park facility. The team offers support and training to users of all ages and abilities, and Mikey has quickly become a star down at the dock.
The three-minute film was shot on location at Queens Dock. It’s showcases Mikey’s inspirational journey and highlights how the confidence he has gained from the sport now overspills into his everyday life. Wakeboarding has opened many new social circles, as Mikey explains:
"I meet loads of new people now. We talk about what we have done, what tricks we have practiced, and I have lots of wakeboarder friends on Twitter, and especially Facebook. People should give it a go. Anyone can do it. You don’t have to be a pro."
Mikey’s message to anyone considering trying the sport is simple: “Do it for fun; feel happy!”
Photos by Jon Shrimpton Photography.
Wiltshire and Swindon Sport (WASP) aim to promote and support sport and physical activity. We can support your club, school and workplace with a range of services including:
- Sport Funding & Grants support, information and advice
- First Aid training / Safeguarding and Child Protection / Social Media training
- Event Safety Management
- Workplace Health programme – Workplace Challenge
- Support for Sports Coaches – Coach Bursary, Coach Education, RightCoach
- Club Support & Development – Clubmark, Club Matters
- Training / meeting room hire
- Marketing & Communications support and Sponsorship opportunities
- Sport England Projects – School Games, Satellite Clubs, Sportivate.
If you think we can help you please get in touch… Kirsty@wiltssport.org.uk or call 01225 781500.